VeloCloud, now part of VMware, is a SD-WAN market leader. VMware NSX SD-WAN by VeloCloud is a key component of the Virtual Cloud Network and tightly integrated with VMware NSX Data Center and VMware NSX Cloud to enable customers to extend consistent networking and security policies from the data centre to the branch to the cloud.
NSX SD-WAN provides bandwidth expansion as well as direct optimal access to enterprise and cloud applications, and data. It also enables virtual services insertion in cloud and on premise — while dramatically improving operational automation.
NSX SD-WAN Solution Components
NSX SD-WAN includes a distributed network of NSX SD-WAN Gateways, a cloud-based NSX SD-WAN Orchestrator and a branch platform, NSX SD-WAN Edge.
NSX SD-WAN Gateways
NSX SD-WAN incorporates a distributed network of service gateways deployed at top tier cloud data centres around the world, providing scalability, redundancy and on-demand flexibility. NSX SD-WAN Gateways provide optimised data paths to all applications, branches and data centres along with the ability to deliver network services from the cloud.
NSX SD-WAN Edge
The NSX SD-WAN Edges are zero-touch enterprise-class appliances that provide secure optimised connectivity to private, public and hybrid applications, compute and virtualised services. NSX SD-WAN Edges perform deep application recognition, application and packet steering, performance metrics and end to end quality of service in addition to hosting virtual network function (VNF) services.
NSX SD-WAN Orchestrator
The NSX SD-WAN Orchestrator provides centralised enterprise-wide installation, configuration and real-time monitoring in addition to orchestrating the data flow through the cloud network. The NSX SD-WAN Orchestrator enables one-click provisioning of virtual services in the branch, the cloud, or the enterprise data centre.
NSX SD-WAN Capabilities
Performance & Reliability
Deliver hybrid WAN with high performance, reliability and transport, and provider flexibility to assure optimal performance even for demanding applications, such as voice and video.
- NSX SD-WAN Dynamic Multipath Optimisation: Aggregate broadband Internet, 4G-LTE, and MPLS circuits with application-aware per-packet link steering and on-demand remediation to achieve optimal performance for demanding, real-time voice and video over any transport.
- Bandwidth Elasticity: Economically increase bandwidth by aggregating WAN circuits of any type, providing faster response even for single application flows. Virtualisation and automated configuration enables bandwidth elasticity and provider flexibility.
- Enterprise Reliability: Active-active mechanism based on link performance provides protection against blackouts and brownouts with sub-second failover. Provider and physical link diversity ensures high availability.
- Cloud Application Quality: Direct yet optimised branch-to-cloud application performance is enabled with the SD-WAN overlay to distributed gateway services throughout the cloud.
Eliminate data centre backhaul penalties with a cloud-ready network to provide an optimised direct path to public and private enterprise clouds.
- Global and Multi-tenant: A distributed network of multi-tenant gateways deployed by NSX SD-WAN and service provider partners support optimal connectivity to cloud and enterprise data centres around the globe.
- Scalable and Redundant: Scalable and redundant gateway capacity is automatically orchestrated when and where needed for enterprise grade branch-to-branch, branch-to-data centre, and branch-to-cloud access. Static, backhauled and unreliable best effort access paths are eliminated.
- Secure: NSX SD-WAN Gateways are operated in highly secure (Tier IV SSAE 16 Type II) data centres. End-to-end cloud VPN and security services, such as firewall, web security etc. from NSX SD-WAN and its partners, are easily provisioned on the cloud SD-WAN platform.
- Seamless Interoperability: VMware’s cloud network provides access to cloud and enterprise data centres via standard IPsec connections, eliminating need for data centre installations or manual per-branch setup. Cloud gateways provide colocation or direct connect access to SaaS and IaaS.
Reduce the branch office footprint with a single click with seamless insertion and chaining of virtualised services on premise and in the cloud.
- Network Service Insertion: NSX SD-WAN service-chains traffic from the branch to both cloud-based and enterprise regional hub services, with assured performance, security, and manageability. Branches leverage consolidated security and network services, including those from partners, such as Zscaler.
- Platform for Virtual Services: The NSX SD-WAN platform is a x86-based, hypervisor-capable Edge that can instantiate and chain multiple virtualised network functions. The platform allows elimination of multiple single-function appliances in the branch with firewall, VPN and third-party services.
- One-click Services Provisioning: Using a simple click-to-enable interface, services can be inserted in the cloud and on-premise with application specific policies.
- SD-WAN as VNF: Easily distribute and deploy NSX SD-WAN virtual Edges on existing branch hardware including installed base of routers or universal CPE platforms. NSX SD-WAN Gateway services can be orchestrated among other cloud data centre services.
Automation & Orchestration
Enable zero-touch branch network deployment with automation and business policy-based orchestration.
- Zero-touch Deployment: Deploy a branch in minutes with NSX SD-WAN Edge activation from the Cloud without the need for a truck roll and onsite IT support. Automatic WAN circuit discovery and monitoring eliminates link-by-link and branch-by-branch configuration.
- Orchestration: Simplify branch routing and address management and VPN setup with centralised orchestration. Business policies drive optimal gateway selection, distributed QoS configurations, automatic VPN connections and network services insertion.
- Business Policy Automation: Discover and fingerprint 2,500+ enterprise and cloud applications to apply prioritisation, service insertion and security policies automatically.
- Cloud-scale Visibility: Gain provider and enterprise-wide visibility into WAN circuit performance and application usage and flows.
NSX SD-WAN Architecture
NSX SD-WAN enables the use of wired or wireless broadband Internet with or without traditional MPLS to create enterprise grade wide area networks with increased bandwidth, high performance access to cloud, service insertion and extensive network visibility.
Cloud Internet-only SD-WAN
Cloud Hybrid SD-WAN
On-Prem Hybrid SD-WAN
Download the NSX SD-WAN Solution Brief